Devuan ASCII 2.1 point release
Dear Init Freedom Lovers
Once again the Veteran Unix Admins salute you!
Devuan ASCII 2.1 point release installer ISOs, desktop-live, and minimal-live isos are now available. No ARM or virtual images are included in this release.
What’s new in this point release:
The option to choose OpenRC in the installer ISOs is more prominent, and no longer requires an Expert install. You can’t miss it.
If you would like to select an alternate bootloader (lilo) or exclude non-free firmware, you must select one of the Expert install options.
The recommended default mirror is now deb.devuan.org. If you would like to use a country code mirror, please check https://pkgmaster.devuan.org/mirror_list.txt to see if there is one suitable for your needs.
- apt (1.4.9) to fix CVE-2019-3462
- linux-image-4.9.0-9 (4.9.168-1+deb9u4) to fix multiple vulnerabilities
- firefox-esr (60.8.0esr-1~deb9u1) to fix multiple vulnerabilities
- policykit-1 to fix CVE-2018-19788 and CVE-2019-6133
- Many more. (See https://www.debian.org/security/2019/)
dbus patch to generate new dbus machine-id on boot. This behavior is configurable in /etc/default/dbus
memtest86+, lvm2, and mdadm added to live ISOs
Please read the Release Notes carefully: http://files.devuan.org/devuan_ascii/Release_notes.txt
ASCII 2.0.0 announcement: https://www.devuan.org/os/announce/ascii-stable-announce-060818
The latter URL also includes information about the official Devuan package repositories, an ISO selection guide, and links to installation guides.
What about ARM and virtual images?
Going forward, ARM and also virtual images will be provided by the greater Devuan community rather than as part of official releases. Users are being encouraged to build and contribute ARM images for their particular hardware. This will increase the variety of images available and allow the release schedule of the installer ISOs to move forward more quickly.
Images can be built using using arm-sdk and vm-sdk: https://www.devuan.org/os/distro-kit
Arm-related discussion happens at #devuan-arm (Freenode) and https://dev1galaxy.org/viewforum.php?id=24
Images will eventually be available via p2p torrent(s).
- Mailing list: https://mailinglists.dyne.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dng
- IRC: #devuan #devuan-dev (Freenode)
- Forum: https://dev1galaxy.org
- Source code: https://git.devuan.org
- Bug tracker: https://bugs.devuan.org
- Popularity contest: https://popcon.devuan.org
- Package information: https://pkginfo.devuan.org
- Press contact: email@example.com
Beowulf coming soon
The Devuan development team can now focus on polishing our third release, codename “Beowulf”, minor planet no. 38086.
We wish to thank all of you for the incredible support given to this development effort, which continues to make Devuan a useful and reliable base distribution.
To support the Devuan project you can donate at:
https://www.devuan.org/donate (includes financial reports)
or take up one of the tasks listed at:
Happy hacking ;^)